Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Genetic Slim N Trim

Recent studies at Oxford have shown that people with two copies of a "fat" version of a gene had a 70% higher risk of obesity than those with none, and weighed more. A couple of quotes from research participants says it all:

From the participant who had no copies of the variant gene: 'I've always got a fridge full of chocolate or cakes and people ask how I can eat all that and still stay slim"

and


From the participant who had two copies of the variant gene: "
I've never been able to get off that last bit of weight, I've always been a bit heavier no matter what I eat"

BUT
just in the last day or two, the US based Salk Institute team presented their work at Experimental Biology 2007: a drug that can switch on a gene to burn body fat -- The ultimate use being be to treat people at risk of obesity-related diseases like diabetes and hypertension.

The rest of article here.

No comments: