Monday, August 28, 2006

The Vatican's Intelligent Designs?

My heart sank when I heard that the Pope was preparing to embrace theory of intelligent design ~ according to the Guardian, the Pope expressed concern when he raised the issue in the inaugural sermon of his pontificate, saying: "We are not the accidental product, without meaning, of evolution." ~ but I didn't think that Darwinian evolution necessarily "unseats humanity as master of a divine creation."

I just hope that the Vatican doesn't renege on its apology to Galileo.

4 comments:

Sue Trinidad said...

As I read the article, though, it seems less worrisome than this post might suggest: the Pope is bringing together a lot of smart people--including scientists--to talk about evolution. If the aim is to discuss ways to reconcile faith and science, isn't that a *good* thing? I think it'd be totally counter to any Christian faith, and perhaps any deity-based faith at all, to say that humankind is the meaningless and accidental product of any process, evolution included.

Linda MacDonald Glenn said...

Yes, Sue ~ I agree -- I think the headline in the Guardian was intentionally alarmist and misleading.
How irritating.

Karama said...

I'm looking forward to reading Francis Collins' new book The Language of God to learn his thoughts on the matter.

Anonymous said...

But see Sam Harris' The End of Faith arguing that the postulation of a "deity" simply fuels spiritual intolerance and terrorism.