Thursday, April 13, 2006

UK team to open "designer baby" clinic

According to this article in the News Telegraph, a UK team plans to open a clinic that will specialize in the creation of "saviour siblings"--that is, children conceived so as to provide a source of genetically matched organs (including blood, etc.) for a sick brother or sister.

Parents doing this isn't new news--it's happened in the US and in the UK. What's new is a clinic designed for this specific purpose.

And while we're on the topic, if you haven't already read Jodi Picoult's book, My Sister's Keeper, this would be a good time . . . . check out the new WBP book club here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you, thank you. I was struggling with what to write about for The Daily (the UW student paper) this week, what with all my shows being on hiatus (I write about medicine, ethics and pop culture). This'll give me a chance to talk about designer babies, Adam, My Sister's Keeper, and the Women's Bioethics Project... perfect!