Thursday, February 01, 2007

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Krista Jacob, who I had the pleasure of interviewing about her new book, Abortion Under Attack, had one of her readings canceled because of threats:

Prairie Lights Books, an iconic Iowa City bookstore, closed early Tuesday evening after receiving a threat about a book about abortion that was to be the subject of that evening's "Live from Prairie Lights."

Krista Jacob, who edited the book Abortion Under Attack: Women on the Challenges Facing Choice had planned to read at 7 p.m., but the store had closed by 6 p.m. because of possible safety issues.

"I was really surprised, because I always have protesters at my events, but my events always happen," Jacob said Tuesday night, unwinding over a meal at Masala, 9 S. Dubuque St. "I just really would have liked the opportunity to talk about my book."

Lauri Wollner, one of the book's contributing writers and a former antiabortion activist, agreed.

"It's scary that 'pro-life' people are threatening lives," she said.

After the bookstore closed, several protesters gathered outside, toting signs in support of Jacob and free speech. To read on, click here.

No comments: