Saturday, April 19, 2008

Honor, Courage, and Commitment

Many of you know Sabrina Weiner from her frequent and insightful bioethics blog posts. She is one of our scholar-bloggers and is also working at the Women's Bioethics Project on strategic programs. What you may not know about her is that two months ago, she forfeited her Navy career after seven years on active and reserve duty, during which she rose to the rank of lieutenant. In a rare instance involving a commissioned officer, Sabrina was arrested and given the choice between a court-martial or less than honorable discharge after refusing to serve in Iraq. Read about her story of standing up for her convictions. Now that's what I call applied ethics. Photo by Mike Kane/PI.

4 comments:

Kelly Hills said...

Wow, I had no idea.

I'm a Navy brat, and I grew up with the culture and codes, and I know that must have been an incredibly difficult decision.

Kudos, Sabrina - that's just damned impressive.

Linda MacDonald Glenn said...

I agree with Kelly -- I think it was an incredibly brave thing to do. Kudos and good for you!

SabrinaW said...

Thank you for your support! I wish I could give you both a big hug right now. :)

Kelly Hills said...

One of these days, Sabrina, we'll get all us bloggers together and close out the nearest bar. ;-)