Place: Computer History Museum, Mountain View, CA
A day-long seminar on threats to the future of humanity, natural and man-made, and the pro-active steps we can take to reduce these risks and build a more resilient civilization. Seminar participants are strongly encouraged to pre-order and read the Global Catastrophic Risks volume edited by Nick Bostrom and Milan Cirkovic, and contributed to by some of the faculty for this seminar.
This seminar will precede the futurist mega-gathering Convergence 08, November 15-16 at the same venue, which is co-sponsored by the IEET, Humanity Plus (World Transhumanist Association), the Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence, the Immortality Institute, the Foresight Institute, the Long Now Foundation, the Methuselah Foundation, the Millenium Project, Reason Foundation and the Accelerating Studies Foundation.
- Nick Bostrom Ph.D., Director, Future of Humanity Institute, Oxford University
- Jamais Cascio, research affiliate, Institute for the Future
- James J. Hughes Ph.D., Exec. Director, Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies
- Mike Treder, Executive Director, Center for Responsible Nanotechnology
- Eliezer Yudkowsky, Research Associate. Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
- William Potter Ph.D., Director, James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies